Fishing, along with Para marine activities like Dry fish ,Prawn farming constitues the second Major economy for the district. The marine ecosystem provides mankind with food, medicines, industrial products and pleasure.
This was the only busy trade centre on the Coromandal coast for the Danes.This fort was declared as a protected monument by the Department of Archaeology, Government of Tamilnadu in 1977 ADThe Danes constructed fortifications on the coast at Tranquebar. This fort was a busy trade centre till 1845 AD when the Danes handed over the fort to the English. It was used as a Public Works Department Travellers Bungalow for government servants and colonials till 1977 AD.
holy land of Muslims
Nagore, as a pilgrim town has the Dargaha of saint Hazrat Meeran Sultan Syed Shahabdul Hammeed [Hazrat Mian]. It is a sea-side town, now bustling with activities both related to religion and commerce.
Sepulchre of the Saint
The Dargha in Nagore near
Nagapattinam, the district headquarters is a holy place. Not only the
followers of Islam but also of all faiths visit this sacred centre
throughout the year to offer their prayers and get the blessings of the
saint. Nearly five hundred years ago a son was born in a devout Muslim
family in a village in the central provinces [Madhys pradesh], He was named
Abdul kadhar. With lust for the grace of Allah, he wandered with his
followers far and
wide. He came to Tamilnadu after visiting different places like Keelakkarai
and preaching the doctrine of love, service devotion to the almighty he
settled down in Nagore in a piece of land granted by a devotee of this
saintly preacher. His words and deeds were divine and prophetic. He said
Islam preaches the fatherhood of God and brotherhood of Man He sent his
disciples to work among the people and spread the message of Prophet
Mohammed. He passed away in 1558 at the age of 68 and in Nagore dargha are
the relics of this God-man. Khandoori festival is the anniversary
celebrations and devotees from all over the world join the festivals to be
blessed by Nagore Andavavar.
A pristine beach has been developed to attract people. Main attractions are beach volleyball, Joyful catumaram rides, childrens amusement park and other recreational facilities. A new color has been added to the beach and is maintained by Nagapattinam New Beach Development committee under the chairmanship of the District Collector
|Season||Throughout the year|
|Languages spoken||Tamil and English|
|Hotel Tamilnadu, Nagappattinam||224389,225114|
|Railway Retiring Rooms available|
|Summer||36 C||28 C|
|Winter||29 C||21 C|
- Every year Nagore Dargah Kanduri Festival is celebrated in the Islamic Month of Jamathul Aagir 1st to 14. This is an auspicious and most celebrated day in Nagore. Many people of all faiths congregate along the streets of Nagore to have a glimpse of the flags in procession in adorned chariots carrying to Nagore Dargah. This is the first day of the Kandoori celebration in Nagore. Flag is a sign of identity. It is the symbol of presence. It is signage of existence. In a war a flag is raised as a sign of victory. Similarly, the raising of flags in the five minarets of Nagore Dargah may be cited to the spiritual victory to the Kingdom of Islam through the holy Hazarath Kuthub ul Akthab Syedina Shahul Hameed (RA).
Places of Spritual Importance
- Naganathaswamy Temple Perumal Temple
- Nagore Andavar Dharga
- St.Fathima Annai RC Church , Vetrilaikaran Street.
- Nearest Air port is at Thirichirapalli [147kms]
- Connected to all major cities in South India via, Chennai, Trichirappalli, Thanjavur and Kollam.
- Hotel Sangeetha, Big Bazaar
- Raadha cafe, olld Bus Stand
- Nawab Rastaurant, Near Dharga
- Govt. Hospital, Sivan South Street
- Medical shops available
- post/Telegraph/STD/ISD/Telex/FAX/Courier Facilities available.
- E-mail and Internet centres are also available.
- Local Library, Sivan South Srteet
- Recreation Club
- Union Recreation
Club, [Members Only]
Phone : 250751
|Dist. Superintendent of Police||242888|
|Wild life Warden||253091,253092|
|Public Relation Officer Nagapattinam||274040|
|Indian Overseas Bank||250165|
|Tourist Officer, Poompuhar||04364-260439|