Room No. 103, First Floor
Nagapattinam 611 003 District Collectorate
Tourism Plays a Key Economy for the District even though Agriculture and Fishing are the Major ones. Shrines, Places of Hindu Faith, Mosques forms the Spritual Tourism for the district. Annual Festivals and functions marks glory of the Year. Heritages like Tarangam
Fishing, along with Para marine activities like Dry fish ,Prawn farming constitues the second Major economy for the district. The marine ecosystem provides mankind with food, medicines, industrial products and pleasure.
town and country planning authority
Government of Tamil Nadu [GoTN] enacted Town & Country Planning Act [T & CP Act], 1971 by repealing Town Planning Act 1920. The Directorate of Town & Country Planning [DTCP] headed by the Director is functioning under the Tamil Nadu T & CP Act, 1971. It functions under the control of Housing & Urban Development Department [H & UD] of the Secretariat. The department has its jurisdiction over the entire Tamil Nadu except Chennai Metropolitan Development Area [CMDA].
Aims/goals of the Authority
To provide effective land development plan with adequate infrastructural facilities for conducive living environment required for the society. This is achieved by integrating the physical, economic as well as social planning for the diverse conditions viz., physiography, pattern of urbanisation, traditional practices, socio-economic equalities etc., prevalent in different parts of the towns and villages.
- To achieve socio-economic development of the state through systematic development and regulation of growth of urban and rural areas of the State through Master Plans/New Town Development Plans and Detailed Development Plans.
- To arrest the rural migration to cities and towns by rural-urban integration through Regional Plans
- To preserve the historical, heritage and tourism important places in the state.
- To protect environmentally and ecologically sensitive areas of the state.
Planning Permission is one in which the permission issued by the respective Planning authority under section 49 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1971.
Any person not being any state Government or the Central Government or any local authority intending to carry out any development on any land or building on or after the date of the publication of the resolution under sub- section  of section 19 or of the notice in the Tamil Nadu Government Gazette under section 26 shall make an application in writing to the appropriate Planning Authority for permission in such form and containing such particulars and accompanied by such documents as may be prescribed.
Powers Delegated to the Local Bodies
Powers delegated to the Local bodies vide DTCP circular Roc. No. 9862/10/BA1 dated 14.06.2010 and 30.12.2010 are as follows.
Master Plan is a basic document and it is prepared for town and cities giving emphasize for zoning regulation for judicious use of urban land. Thus a master plan is a key development plan to provide land use allotment for residential, commercial, industrial, public and semi-public, traffic and transportation, parks, play field and open spaces, etc., taking into consideration the existing land uses. The plans while suggesting for broader land use restriction, will also identify the problem areas in traffic and transport, location for education, recreation site etc., and propose for provision of infrastructure facilities based on the projected population for that area. Madurai master plan was approved in G.O.Ms.No.122, Housing and Urban Development [UD-IV] Department, dated 6.2.1995.
DETAILED DEVELOPMENT PLAN
Detailed development plans are prepared in conformity with master plan proposals, prepared for smaller areas within the planning area. These are the action plans where the development projects and programmes are envisaged. It is a micro level plan with detailed road network in which master plan is translated for development of specific areas in the town which exhibits faster growth. The DD plans are also reviewed periodically based on the trend of development. There are 122 Detailed Development plans are prepared in Madurai Local Planning Area.
DEVELOPMENT CONTROL REGULATIONS
The Government of Tamil Nadu issues development control regulations for Madurai local planning area vide Go.ms.No. 130 H & UD Department dated 14.06.2010.
The laying out of land for building purposes shall be carried out only in accordance with the provisions specified below:-
- The minimum width of the public street / road which provide access to the proposed site for layout development shall b e minimum of 9 metre and 7 metre in case of approved layout. It should be a clear public access with a proper tar road being maintain ed by respective local body.
- The width of roads in the layout shall conform to t he minimum requirements given in the table below and shall be in conformity with the development plan if any published under section 26 of the Act and the Detailed Development Plan published under sect ion 27 of the Act for the area except in group housing
The Proposal should accompany with as per Check lis t prescribed by the Commissioner of Town and Country Planning, Chen nai. The Check list may be downloaded from www.tn.gov.in/dtcp and also get from the Local Planning Authority office .